I love soup. I mean really love soup. So I have decided to share with you a recipe for one of my favourites. I was introduced to a similar recipe for this by a friend, and have been adapting and experimenting until I got it exactly the way I like it. Try it and I dare you to tell me it isn’t good !!!!!!!
There are alternatives for people who don’t like seafood or chicken…just scroll down.
I made this today just for this post [and took a few photos while cooking – this was MY dinner tonight] – had some fresh bok choy from the Farmer’s market at hand.
Dinner was YUMMY !!!!!!
Jo’s Spicy Bok Choy Soup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil,
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers [I also use home grown chillies in place of these in the summer when I can pick them from my garden – depending on their strength and your tastes this is a little bit at a time method until you get it right. I like spicy so I use a tablespoon of hot chillies]
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped [sometimes I cheat and use the stuff in a jar – about four heaped teaspoons]
- 2 tablespoons of chopped pickled ginger
- a couple of cups of mushrooms, sliced thickly [any kind will do]
- 2 medium bok choy, trimmed and cut into slices about 2cms/1inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 300 grams medium peeled and deveined shrimp [you can cheat and use frozen shrimp – toss them in frozen. Not a seafood lover – try chicken pieces – vegetarian – try diced fried tofu]
- 2 blocks of egg noodles [break them up, it makes the eating a lot easier] Vegetarian – vermicelli pasta makes a good alternative.
- 1 onion chopped
Heat a medium pot over medium/high heat. Add the olive oil, then toss in the onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, and bok choy, season with salt and pepper. Stir fry for about 1 minute.
Then add your vegetable stock. Put the lid on the pot and bring ingredients to the boil.
Now you can add the shrimp and noodles and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste and serve.
I’d really love to hear what you think of this one.
I have a few more yummy posts if you want to check out my recipes.
For more Delicious pop on the flying dragon and head over to Jake’s place.